Welcome to Nightingales Year 5
Miss Innes and Ms Picton
(Mrs Lock will teach you on a Thursday afternoon)
- Click here for our weekly timetable for Term 4.
- Click here for our curriculum overview for the year.
- We have PE (outdoor) on a Thursday. For all of term 4, we have Forest School on a Wednesday.
- Please come to school dressed in the appropriate PE kit/Forest School clothes on these days.
- Homework is set each week on a Friday and is due in the following Wednesday. This is set on the Learn Platform.
- It should be completed neatly in blue/black pen or in a pencil.
- All children are expected to read 5 times per week minimum.
- Homework Diaries should be in school EVERYDAY. Your reads will be counted on a Monday.
- You must have a parental signature at the end of every week.
- Year 5 children are expected to write a short summary of what they have read each week. This can be done in your homework diary.
- Children can bring in a book from home, choose one from the library or choose one from our class book shelf.
- 5 reads, a written summary and a parental signature will earn you a raffle ticket each week! The raffle tickets go into a box and at the end of term one lucky winner will be drawn out who will then go on the bookshop visit to buy a book for their class.
- Times Table Rockstars login details are in your homework diaries.
- Below are the statutory spelling lists for Year 3/4 and Year 5/6. It is very important that you practise these often!
We hope you all had a lovely half term break and that you are well-rested and ready for term 4!
During World Book Day, we enjoyed some hot chocolate and biscuits whilst reading and sharing our favourite books. We also did STOP, DROP and READ!!!
During the last week of term 3, we spent time talking about Internet Safety and Children's Mental Health.
The theme for Children's Mental Health week was 'Connections', so we thought about the many connections and relationships we have with people all around us.
On the last day of term, we enjoyed a brilliant theatre performance of Wind in the Willows!
We had a super time at the Panto watching Cinderella!
We have an investigation going on this week... Someone has been in our classroom over the weekend! The children are working hard, trying to find out what happened!!
This week in Science, we have been looking at air resistance. The children made parachutes and timed how long they took to reach the ground.
Well done to you all for a brilliant Harvest Service! All of the staff, parents and children enjoyed it very much!
For European Day of Languages, we looked at Iceland because it links well with our Geography learning this term. The children created some artwork based on The Northern Lights. They also made volcanoes erupt using bicarbonate of soda, food colouring and vinegar! Below are some photos of our day.
In RE this week, we have been discussing what God is like and what words we could use to describe Him. The children drew some brilliant pictures to represent one of God's qualities...